Trish Forrest <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 26 Jun 1995 21:15:19 -0400
On Mon, 26 Jun 1995, Bill Harvey wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Jun 1995 14:00:52 EST, Maureen Leblanc <[log in to unmask]>
>  said:
> >If I do as the possible spam message suggests, and re-submit the message
> >to the list, it will, of course, appear twice on UseNet. I have about
> >25 messages here that I could re-submit if I was into getting burned
> >at the stake by angry UseNetters.
> >
> >Short of putting out a distribution called oh, say ...The Possible
> >Spam Times, can anyone think of what I can do about this?
>
> Probably not very appealing, because it will almost certainly be
> difficult to do, but you could insure that the Message-Id of your
> resent note is identical to the original message-Id.  Then newsreaders
> will discard your resent notes as duplicates.

  Since each MUA will generate a different message-id, this would be
impossible to do unless you are root or have access to a VM/VMS priv
userid...short of telneting to port 25 and inputting your own headers....
...sigh...more trouble than it is worth I think.  Probably the best
alternative is to do as someone already suggested for these kinds of
lists and set the spam detection to off.  This does not seem to be one
of those priority items for the Usenet folks in the recent future, so
until Eric weaves his magic with Lmail...(which under these circumstances
we would even purchase it)....set spam to off....it becomes a balance between
the hassle from subscribers for spams vs manually forwarding mail...you
have to decide which is the less work/stress for you as a list-owner to
deal with.  I have to say that in the end, the spam detection has saved
me a lot of problems...and I don't even own a list, but with it I am not
put in the position of sending mail to a list that we host asking
subscribers not to blame the listowner for a spam (which they do!) and
asking unhappy subscibers to just leave and let the list recover...and
go on as before.

  There seems to be an ever deminishing tolerance for spams on a list...
and many think of their mailbox as they do their personal phome at home.
Sort of like when you pick up your phone to hear, "This is homeQueen
and have we got a clearner for you..."...  :-)  Ever sent in a blank
envelope with "Poatage paid".....so they would get the message?  :-)

--Trish