Betty Harris <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 2 Jan 1998 19:05:53 -0600
Hiya,

I'd written:
>Hope everyone is having a decent new year. :)

and Ben responded:
>You too!  (But if you're writing today probably you aren't...)

*laugh*  'fraid it's the same as last year. :)

I'd written:

and Ben wrote:
>Maybe.  At any rate some kind of automatic forwarding is setup at
>m-net.arbornet.org to pass msgs on.  You could contact the
>POSTMASTER@... for possible help.  It is also possible somebody
>else got access to that account and the 'liebe' user may be
>wondering where their mail is.  You could also try finger and
>see if you get a name that means anything to Mr. Pizzi, but don't
>count on this.

You know.. that's one thing I miss from the "old days".
Used to if one had an account on the net, your name was
attached to it and one could go find that information
by fingering the system.  These days, anarchy rules.
Anyone can be anyone on the net.  At least some people
*think* they can be anyone. *chuckle* but somehow who
they are always comes thru.

I'd asked:

and Ben said:
>Basically no legal recourse.  You have to prove significant injury, and
>malicious intent and ....  It costs more to sue for this stuff than the
dmages
>you might collect.  You could seek injuctive relief, but it would still be
hard
>to make it stick since it is so easy to masquerade as someone else.  Plus I
>suspect he is in Italy and that only complicates matters further.

Pretty muchly what I thought.

I'd written:

and Ben wrote:
>Good idea!  This may only stop mail from your list however.  If other
lists are
>forwarded through the same address (stupid but possible) then just nuke the
>subscription, package up all the headers and send to
>[log in to unmask] with a request to terminate the users
service.  If
>they are more clever, well that just makes it harder to prove.

The user hasn't noticed any difference so far.  Says he's still
getting list mail. discouraging.  Perhaps I'll forward my original
question including mail header to the postmaster there and see
if they have any insight into what's going on.

on to another train of thought.  Excuse me if this has already
been addressed. :)

Rev Tom asked:
>>I wish some kind (and proficient) soul would please spell out for
>>me...in detailed layout if possible...the specific owner password
>>command-syntax to retrieve a list of our subscribers with *all* eMail
>>addresses.

and Sue suggested:
>It's "review yourlistname" command that get you all your subscribers and
>email addresses. Happy Holidays to you Sir too.

I use the:
get listname (nolock
command to return a list of all subscribers.  Replace the word
listname with the name of your list and send the command in the
body of a mail message addressed to the LISTSERV that hosts your
discussion list.  It will send you back mail containing a list
of subscribers addresses and name fields.

Rev Tom wrote:
>TIA.  And may 'the peace that passeth all understanding' fall upon your
>little corner of the world this holy season.
I'd go a step further and suggest that we create a world of
peace and understanding by how we interact with those around us. :)
See http://www.topchoice.com/~psyche/lists/principles.html for
some elaboration on those ideas. :)

Out for now,
Betty