Bill Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 22 Jan 1994 15:42:03 CST
On Fri, 21 Jan 1994 17:58:37 -0600, "Robert A. Hayden"
    <[log in to unmask]> said:
>Weird, I just got auto-deleted from one of my mailing lists.  Cany anyone
>take a look at the following error report I got and tell me what happened?

Just a wild guess here, since I don't have LMail 1.8a (@#$%!), but
Eric announced a new feature that tries to convert SMTP error mail
into the Error Description report in LISTSERVese.  It looks like
SMTPIB@HEARN tried to deliver this message to
KRYPTON.MANKATO.MSUS.EDU, but the SMTP process on Krypton rejected it
with:
    553 header line too long
My guess is that Krypton can't handle the long RFC822 header lines
that are now available.  LMail translated this error report into an
Error Code 3 (permanent delivery failure).  LISTSERV interprets Error
Code 3 to mean unsubscribe this userid.

One could argue whether or not LMail should have picked Error Code 3,
but rfc821 says that 5xx error codes mean permanent delivery failure.
So a more reasonable stance (IMHO) is that Krypton should not have used
error code 553.

There's no guarantee that I've guessed right here, but it seems
consistent with the rejection mail you received.
Bill