Nick Laflamme <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 19 May 1994 15:34:06 EST
On Wed, 18 May 1994 21:51:08 CDT James Ford said:
>I have been thinking about changing my list from Send= Public to Send=
>Private.
>
>How to most of you have your Send= option set to...public or private?

I don't use Send=Private much because so many users use a different mail
address each hour as they alternate which workstation they use in a Unix
lab.  One moment they're [log in to unmask], then they're
[log in to unmask]  I try to convince them to pick one and use it,
but sometimes they just can't get to their favorite.

Mostly I use Send=Public to avoid the hassles, sometimes I use:

Send = editor
Editor = [log in to unmask],(listname)

If they're on the list, it goes.  If not, it comes to me as editor for
approval.  It's nicer for the would-be rejections because it gives me a
chance to have mercy on them and pass the note along.

Send=Private with its outright rejections seems to harsh and leads to too
many "I'm on the list, why can't I just reply to the list?" questions.

Credit goes to someone else, perhaps Marty Hoag, for coming up with that
deviate use of Send=Editor. :-)

* ------
* Intelligence demands reasons, not rules.