"Mark R. Williamson" <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 24 Jul 2003 22:31:51 -0500
>I am confused by DSN code 5.2.3. According to RFC 1893, this code indicates:
>
>     A per-mailbox administrative message length limit has been
>     exceeded.  This status code should be used when the
>     per-mailbox message length limit is less than the general
>     system limit.  This code should be used as a permanent failure.
>
>I get a lot of these from Hotmail and MSN and don't know how to deal with
>them based on the above. What do they mean? The account is over quota (which
>should be 5.2.2)? The account is disabled (which should be 5.2.1)? WTF do
>they mean by "the per-mailbox message length limit is less than the general
>system limit"??

I read that as "this mail message exceeds the maximum message size
for this particular mailbox, even though some other mailbox on this
system might be able to receive it."  For example, the system might
reject all messages over 5MB, but limit some mailboxes to receiving
1MB messages.

Last time I checked, the free (ad-supported) mailboxes on Hotmail had
a lower maximum message size than the paid mailboxes.  Thus, there
are message sizes for which a free mailbox would get 5.2.2, while a
paid mailbox would be allowed to receive the message (subject to
total quota, etc.).

--Mark Williamson