Tom Rawson <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 7 May 2001 16:27:39 -0400
On 7 May 2001, Kevin Parris wrote:

> Just exactly who are you wanting to be able to hide from - only other
> subscribers, or from them and owners too?  In other words, what degree
> of anonymity is really required, and who can you trust to know the
> truth?

The listowners can know the truth.  Subscribers sometimes need to post
without other subscribers knowing who they are.  It's an adoption list
(Guatemala-Adopt).  Sometimes people need to post a question in a way that
protects their child's privacy.  Other times they may want to prevent
their adoption agency (who may also be a list member) from hassling them
for asking a perfectly reasonable question.

> I haven't looked at the functions list for the exits described in the
> Developer's Guide, but it just might be possible that LSOFT has
> provided a way in there for you to chop out or modify parts of messages
> as they go through the server.

We could do that but if it takes that level of effort it's probably too
much.

I haven't yet looked into using anonymous remailers for this purpose, that
was next after exhausting LISTSERV options.

I might also be able to automate it using Pegasus filtering rules, and
just do it on my email client.

The biggest reason I want to sort it out is I want to eliminate the
reasons people may have for using false names on the list, so we can then
really enforce (as best one can do it) a consistent "real names" policy.

-----
Tom Rawson           [log in to unmask]