"Thomas W. Kozma" <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 28 May 1999 11:15:53 -0400
I am exploring different options for controlling who may post to an
announce-only list. Ideally, I would like to specify one or two literal
e-mail addresses in the SEND= keyword so only those authorized persons
could post to the list. The problem seems to be that it is very easy to
fake these addresses simply by changing the "Return Address" setting in an
e-mail client like Eudora.

I have tried Send=Editor,Hold,Confirm in combination with the Editor=
keyword. While this does provide the necessary security, it allows anyone
to submit a message and requires the editor to decide whether to approve or
not. I am looking for a way that would prevent someone from having to deal
with unsolicited mail and with having to go through the OK mechanism to
approve legitimate messages.

So basically what I want is:
* the authorized sender(s) should be able to post directly without any
moderation;
* mail from anyone else would be rejected by LISTSERV
* authorized sender(s) address can not be faked

Is it possible to get all three?
--
Tom Kozma                               Phone: 313-577-4821
Academic Computing & Customer Services    Fax: 313-577-8787