Dan Wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 1 Oct 1995 22:31:27 -0500
Sylvie McGee said:

> The Quaker-L list is configured to use a third pseudo-list as the editor
> list, so that the administrators simply sign on and off that list and then
> bounce incoming mail according to a schedule we've developed for
> ourselves. We've found this has a number of advantages - not the least the
> incoming queue back up that it provides when one of us (usually me ;( )
> crashes and burns mid-shift. The use of the pseudo list also means that
> several of us can be *on* and receiving and reviewing incoming mail at
> the same time, which has its advantages when the discussion heats up a
> bit and we want to easily cross-consult.

We are in the process of doing this for some of the KIDLINK
lists--it really does have a lot of advantages.

> The use of the pseudo-list does mean that we cannot use the ok cookie
> method.

My solution to this was to write an "OK resender" script.  The
LISTSERVer thinks the moderator is an account named
[log in to unmask]  This account actually forwards the message to
the real moderators.  When they want to approve a message, they
send it back to the LISTMOD account.  A script takes off the
subject line (with the magic cookie) and sends an OK message back
to the LISTSERVer.

I'm on a Vax VMS system with PMDF mail, so my specific scripts
probably would not be of use to you.

> So....this is a long way of getting at, which mailers suitable for use with
> SLIP accounts connected to Windows environments will allow use of
> bounce/redirect/forward command (whichever) with a resent-from line? Two
> of our new moderators currently use Eudora as their mailer. Both are
> willing, if need be, to download or purchase other software as a mailer
> in order to gain the bounce capability....

A suggestion I got when I was planning this was to have the
moderators forge the LISTMOD return address when they send the
magic cookie to the LISTSERVer.  Eudora does allow you to set the
return address to be anything you want it to be.  I'm uneasy with
this for two reasons.  First, I don't like to encourage forging
of email for any reason.  Second, I'm not sure it will work.
Eudora does allow you to put whatever you want in the From: line,
but the LISTSERVer may check the envelope from line as well.

Good luck!

                          Peace,  Dan

<<  Daniel D. Wheeler          Internet:  [log in to unmask]  >>
<<  University of Cincinnati     Bitnet:  wheeler@ucbeh       >>