Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 11 Apr 1997 23:06:24 GMT
On Fri, 11 Apr 1997 16:52:58 -0400, Mike Holloway
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>My list is on 1.8a.  I should be able to see a <mylist>.mailtpl file in the
>index if we had one, right?  There's none listed.

No.  If you mean the response to the INDEX listname command anyone may
give, that will not show the WELCOME or FAREWELL, or MAILTPL or CATALOG
files, although those files may be there.  These are registered in
LISTSERV's Site Catalog maintained by the Site Administrator, but are not
visible to the the INDEX command.  Try a GET listname filename  If the
file is there, LISTSERV will send it to you.  If not, you'll get a msg
saying the filename is registered but the physical file is not present.

Whether or not the file already exists, you can PUT a new version at any
time, although good practice suggests you GET the existing file and modify
it.

> ... does the list manager have to create it?

The Site Admin does not have to create an entry for listname.MAILTPL.
That was done when your list was created, even if you have never PUT the
file before.

 Ben Parker ............ (Oak Park IL) .......... [log in to unmask]