Michel Weenink <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 7 Aug 1996 12:29:03 +0100
At 10:36 7-08-96 +0000, Aldo-Pier Solari wrote:
>] Michel Weenink <[log in to unmask]> writes:
>
>]Remailers strip a mail automatically, leaves nothing whatsoever what
>]could point to any identification.
>
>I  understand  the  above  is   not  correct:  An  an-mailer  allows
>communication both ways and it keeps a register as to  where  anyone
>message  being  processed by the machine comes from.  This allows to
>redirect replies to an anonymous mail.
>
>I suppose  the  data  base  within  the  anonymous  mailer  could be
>scrambled/encrypted.  However, it should  be  an  easy  walk  to  an
>experienced hacker-catcher.

How about we're both right? :-)
As I understand from Sue the problem is almost solved anyways, but this
might be usefull anyways.
What you are referring to is an anonymous mailer, like anon.penet.fi. They
indeed keep the original addresses in a hidden (?) database, and it is also
possible to reply to those mails. Exactly like you say.

What I was referring to and what I understood from Sue had happened, is a
CyberPhunk remailer. Those remailers work with PGP. You encrypt your
mailmessage, send it to such a remailer, and that machine strips the header
almost completely off the mail, leaving just the recipient and the subject.
I don't know what happens with the original header, but as far as I know a
postmaster/systemmanager can't retrieve it. (Yet again Sue did get it...)

(Weenink, '95; http://www.net.info.nl/ui/0895/cryp.html to brush up on your
Dutch, http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~raph/ for some english info on those
Cyberphunk ppl.)

Best,

Michel

Michel Weenink                   [log in to unmask]
Pontanusstraat 38                [log in to unmask]
6524 HG Nijmegen                 Sometimes I wonder why Murphy's law
+31 (0)24 3607665                never applies to Murphy's law (Jumbo, 22-3-'96)
Student Cognitive Science        http://www.psych.kun.nl/~weenink/index.html