Pete Weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 1 Feb 2004 12:05:43 -0500
At 11:43 02/01/2004 Sunday, Jane Lyle wrote:

 >We have been corresponding with someone at turbonet.com, where the
 >challenges are issued, and he tells us that we can easily fix the problem
 >by changing our configuration so that the return path is the list address
 >itself--the same address that the subscriber sends posts to (that way it
 >would automatically be whitelisted). Since it reads owner-copyediting-l,
 >he says, the challenge software won't whitelist copyediting-l.
 >
 >Can that be done? He tells me that he's done it to the lists that he
 >manages.

I'm not sure but I believe it "can" via some list keywords that you don't
hear about often, but even if you could, I would NOT since the bounce
addressv (RETURN-PATH:) should NOT go back to the list -- that's an
invitation to an email disaster.

Providing a SUBSCRIPTION= OPEN, CONFIRM (assuming OPEN), should be more
than sufficient.

The user has paid for the ISP to provide that service (whether they knew
it or not).  Their failure to choose an ISP that enables them to take
personal responsibility for subscribing does NOT constitute your
agreement to have to jump thru hoops.  They turned the social compact
between subscriber and list-owner on its head.

I suggest that the subscriber read the archives via the WEB.

/Pete