Dan Lester <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 12 Jan 1999 15:40:51 -0700
At 03:30 PM 1/11/99 -0500, Joe Clark wrote:
>But that is not the feature I was talking about. Digests and
>reflector messages should be separately enumerated. Not a huge
>programming problem. Of course, Listserv also has to be smart enough
>to remove old numbers when producing a new one. For example, if I get
>a message called
>
>        [Listown 207] Enumeration
>
>and reply to it, Listserv should edit the subject line to read
>
>        [Listown 217] Re: Enumeration

This should only be available as AN OPTION, if at all.  One of the great
things about NOT numbering the subject lines is that if you can only read a
list every few days, but want to still pick out relevant topics, you can
sort by date before subject and Eudora and many other mail clients will
ignore the Re, giving you essentially a threaded list.  You can then
quickly delete irrelevant threads, and read the others in more or less
chrono order.  No, not strict threading.....but close enough for many of
us.  Putting the listname in the subject line also partially hoses this
(but at least is optional), as the Re after the first word is not ignored.

cheers

dan

--
Dan Lester, 3577 East Pecan, Boise, ID 83716-7115 USA 208-383-0165
[log in to unmask]   http://www.84.com/  http://www.idaholibraries.org/