Darren Evans-Young <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 8 Apr 2004 01:01:11 -0500
On Tue, 6 Apr 2004, Winship wrote:

>Oh, and someone mentioned a ratio of quoted to original material.  Back in
>the mid - later '90s had a subscriber to one of my lists whose mail system
>had a filter which tried to judge such things and routinely rejected most
>postings (I think it was anything over 50% quoting, don't recall exactly).
>I don't know how the system determined what was quoted material and what
>wasn't, but it routinely rejected items with one or two lines of quoting
>and many lines of original material.  And *sometimes* two lines of quote
>from the prior with one line of reply is totally appropriate.
>
>Douglas Winship    [log in to unmask]

I use a Listserv exit to pass each post through a C program that looks for
signs of overquoting and rejects the message if it determines that has
occurred. If the post is less than x number of lines, then it lets it
pass. Has worked well and virtually eliminated excessive quoting on my
list. No one seems to have taken the time to figure out my technique to
try and circumvent it. Each list is different and different techniques may
have to be used.

Darren Evans-Young