Joan Korenman <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 27 Apr 1994 11:23:02 -0500
        Roger Burns writes:

>When I try to PUT such a file to Listserv, Pine detects the high-order
>characters and before transmission, alters the entire file, specifically
>by tansforming any instance of "=" to "=3D" (and several other
>tranformations).  Since the PUT cpmmand always requires a PW=XXXXXXXX
>command, Pine changes this to PW=3DXXXXXXXX and thus when Listserv
>receives the file, it rejects the PUT because the password *it* sees is
>indeed incorrect.
>
>The solution for me is to make doubly sure that all high-order ascii
>characters are stripped away from any file I send to Listserv via the Pine
>mailer.  (These error-laden files are often the result of trying to create
>an ascii file from a word-processor document.)  If you have a "smart"
>mailer like Pine, it might be doing these same things to files -- and only
>those files -- that contain high-order ascii characters.

        I find this EXTREMELY interesting, since my assistant on WMST-L has
had exactly the same thing happen to her on a number of occasions.
Curiously, though, she doesn't use Pine, nor was she working from a file
that had originally been created on a word-processor.  Hmmm....she WAS
incorporating into the file material that had been posted on WMST-L by
subscribers.  For all I know, some of THEIR messages may have been created
originally on a word-processor and then converted to ascii.  Would the
high-order ascii characters have survived through all that?   Also, at
times when she simply couldn't PUT a file, she'd send it to me via e-mail,
and I'd always succeed in PUTting it.  So the mystery continues.

        Joan Korenman        Internet: [log in to unmask]
                             Bitnet:   korenman@umbc