Paul Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 25 Aug 2004 13:59:14 -0500
On 8/25/2004 7:05 AM, William Schults wrote:

 > I have my list set to filter out attachments, and reject messages in html.
 > Today someone posted to the list with an attachment that made it through
 > the filter.  I've included my list header below.  Can anyone see why it
 > would let an attachment through?  The server is using LISTSERV 1.8e.
 >
 > The attachment was an html file.  It showed up in my e-mail app as an
 > attached file (which I could download, virus scan, and then open in my web
 > browser), but in the web archive showed up as embedded html "gibberish".
 > I'd like to keep the list free of attachments, and don't understand why it
 > let this one through.

Odds are, the message was sent as HTML-only, i.e., the message consisted of
a single MIME part with a content type of text/html. When you configure a
list with 'Language= NoHTML', LISTSERV deletes HTML MIME parts only if the
message contains at least two MIME parts and at least one of them has a
content type of text/plain.

In May 2001, I submitted a change request which stated:

        The use of 'Language=NoHTML' in a list configuration should result
        in the rejection of a single part message with the content type of
        'text/html', accompanied by an error message to the sender of the
        message.

See <http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind0105&L=lstown-l&P=R5948>
for the complete text of my message.

Hey, L-Soft! When are you going to address this issue?

--
Paul Russell
Senior Systems Administrator