Mitch Rerek <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 20 Jun 2002 09:16:37 -0400
Good morning to all,

I have a problem with the transfer of older lists from a VM server to a new Unix box.
A few of the several hundred list we have transferred from a VM server to a Unix server used the List ID command.
Example:
List-ID= This_Is_My_List
List-Address= List-ID
From what I gather this option allowed the list owner to create an alias to a list (This_Is_My_List) that could be used by subscribers to post to EVEN though they were limited to an 8 character limit for the list name under VM (This_Is_).
After wholesale automated blanket transfers of lists that used this call (List-ID=) the list works fine. BUT there is one problem that I have. I PUT the lists using the 8 character name, but in the web interface the list appears with the List-ID string (This_Is_My_List).
Here's the hitch...
The Owner of the list in question CANNOT gain access to the list header in the web interface to manage the list. They experience a "you are not authorized to use this under the password you entered, etc").
I have been able to track this down, and in every instance where the problem has occurred the list used the List-ID / List-Address commands.
As such, I have many users, who love the web interface for their other lists, don't like me because the one list that used the above said commands they cannot access.

My questions are:
 - How do I fix the problem?
 - Do I need to create additional aliases in the /aliases directory?
 - Do I simply tell the users "You can't do that" ?
 - Blow my brains out or leave, go home and watch DVDs?

Any info would be greatly appreciated as the deadline for the old server's execution nears.

I apologize for the length of this one.

Mitch Rerek
Senior Information Technology Consultant
OIT Customer Support
West Virginia University
(304) 293-4444  ext 2256