Thu, 23 Oct 1997 04:26:22 GMT
On Wed, 22 Oct 1997 18:15:39 -0400, in message:
<[log in to unmask]>, Pete Weiss
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Ralph:
>
> Before you go too far down this path, please review the LSTOWN-L archives
> about AMERICAN and GATEWAY since May of this year.
>
> There are lots of pitfalls and my reading of LSTOWN-L would be to let the
> dust settle first.

        To me it seems that this person does not want to set up the
newsgroup as a bitserv (I think that is what American gateways to),
list, but taking an existing newsgroup (local), and gatewaying it
(localy), to the mailing list.  If the newsgroup is only distributed
localy (or to a small area), then one advantage to having it gated to
a mailing list is that when a person moves away from those machines
they can still recieve (and write) to the newsgroup.  That probably
isn't the only advantage to having the same content both in a
newsgroup and a mailing list...

                                        Jason Rasku

--
Intrested in hand made textiles and more?
Visit <http://kootweb.com/trillium/trrasku/trrasku.html>