Debbie Douglass <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 11 Dec 1998 09:40:02 EST
On December 11, on [log in to unmask], Debra Wilson said:
 >>what a lot of people never realise is that the english language
 >>changes on a constant basis.... what was slang becomes consistant
 >>usage and accepted as an english word.... all you have to do is look
 >>at the latest Oxford dictionary's slang inclusions and you will see
 >>what is being replaced and what is being offered in place of something
 >>else.... I can still remember the days when we used to live in a paper
 >>bag on the side of a road.... oh bugger... forgot that was a python
 >>sketch.....  anyway you get the general idea... and if you dont..
 >>just try looking up the word chthonic in any dictionary printed later
 >>than 1970......

I'm not sure what your point was because I found it in my
"Webster's New World Dictionary, 2nd Ed." (1984):
   chthonic - adj. 1. same as CHTHONIAN 2. dark, primitive, and
   mysterious
And under chthonian we find that its a word based in Greek myth.

-Debbie

|    No flames were thrown in the creation of this email message.     |
[log in to unmask] \ May your sword always be within   |
|Systems Administrator             \ reach and may your Foe's skill   |
|GTE Government Systems, Needham, MA\  and luck be less than your own.|