Michael Shannon <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 28 Jun 2002 13:07:54 +1000

> Also copying the archives.

How are you copying them, by email or through the local file system?

If by local file system, look in your list's header to find the physical
location of the notebooks in the NOTEBOOK keyword.  Copy all the files from
there to the new location in the new LISTSERV installation.  If web archives
are enabled, you'll have to restart LISTSERV or GET and PUT the list header
for the new web archive index to be built.  It's important to do this or
else your web archives will fail entirely.

If by email, simply GET all the notebook archives from the old installation
and PUT them onto the new one.  It's advisable to speak to your LISTSERV
admin first to make sure s/he has physically created the appropriate
directories for the notebooks.  You may have to adjust your list's NOTEBOOK
keyword if anything's changed.  Again, for web archives you'll have to GET
and PUT the list header for the new web index to be built.

> Can I get some more detailed help on bulk add    I am getting ready to
> transfer a bunch of subscribers to a new list.
> Any help would be much appreciated.  Just not sure how to
> actual type the script for that

Here's what the Owner's Manual says:

[QUIET] ADD listname DD=ddname [IMPORT] PW=yourpassword
//ddname DD *
[log in to unmask] [*|full name]
[log in to unmask] [*|full name]
...more users, one per line...
[log in to unmask] [*|full name]
/*

Now for the Plain English version...

The ADD LISTNAME and PW=XXXX need no explanation.  DD=ddname is simply a
label that you put into the ADD command that describes the block of data
that you are importing.  Hence 'ddname' in the ADD command and 'ddname' at
the beginning of the subscriber addresses *must be the same*.

So, a long-winded way of describing it would be, "I'm ADDing a whole bunch
of addresses to LISTNAME.  The addresses can be found in the block of data
at DD and is called 'ddname'.  Here is my PW for verification".

QUIET and IMPORT are optional commands that can also be included (minus the
square brackets, of course).  Without specifying either of them, each
subscriber *and* the owner are sent the normal SIGNUP and/or WELCOME
message.  By specifying QUIET, the subscribers won't see the success message
but the owner will (for each subscriber!).  IMPORT is the same as a QUIET
ADD (so don't use QUIET and IMPORT together) but also suppresses all the
success messages, which helps to speed things up and puts less strain on
your MX and inbox.  Use QUIET or IMPORT only if you want to make seamless
changes for your subscribers.  Otherwise, let them see the SIGNUP message in
case there have been changes they need to know about (such as new mailing
addresses or web archive URLs).

When creating the address data block you must always start with //ddname DD
* and end it with /* (as per the example above).  Note that they must each
be on their own lines and that 'ddname' must match the 'ddname' you entered
into the ADD command.  Each subscriber's address should be one its own line,
too, along with their full name or * for an anonymous subscriber (don't add
the square brackets as shown above...they're only there for illustrative
purposes).  If you are using the IMPORT command it isn't necessary to put
the full name in but it's good practice to do so anyway.  Note that if
you're using a subscriber list from another list management tool, strip each
subscriber's entry down to *only* their address and name.  Take out all
extra stuff or else it may cause the job to choke or their displayed name to
become 'Jo Blo Digest With Mime Newlist Blah Blah Etc'.

Examples:

----------

This will ADD four subscribers (note: one is anonymous) and send a SIGNUP
message to each one *and* the owner.

ADD MY-LIST-L DD=newsubs PW=PASSWORD
//newsubs DD *
[log in to unmask] Jo Blo
[log in to unmask] Jane Blo
[log in to unmask] Jack Spratt
/*

----------

This will ADD four subscribers (all are anonymous) but won't send out a
SIGNUP message to them.  The owner will still get a success message and a
copy of SIGNUP for each subscriber.

QUIET ADD MY-LIST-L DD=newsubs PW=PASSWORD
//newsubs DD *
/*

----------

This will ADD four subscribers but nobody gets a success message.

ADD MY-LIST-L DD=newsubs IMPORT PW=PASSWORD
//newsubs DD *
[log in to unmask] Jo Blo
[log in to unmask] Jane Blo
[log in to unmask] Jack Spratt
/*

----------

I hope this helps you to understand it a bit better.  Bulk ADDs and DELETEs
can be a bit scary at first but once you have a handle on them they can be
very useful.

--
Chazzozz!!

Michael Shannon
Webmaster

"Before you can grow old and wise you must first survive being young and
stupid." - Ancient Proverb

Note: Opinions expressed on this list are my own and do not reflect the
views, opinions or position of my employer.  If swallowed, seek medical
advice.