Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 21 Dec 1993 19:32:54 +0100
On Tue, 21  Dec 1993 11:45:16 -0600  Jim Milles <[log in to unmask]>
said:

>I always include F=MAIL in my requests, because I have in the past found
>LISTSERV sites  that would  send netdata  files in  response to  my mail
>requests. It has  been some time since this happened,  however. Has this
>been fixed in a recent release?

It is  not a  bug. When  you send commands  by mail,  the *reply*  to the
commands is sent by mail. So if you issue a QUERY command, the info about
your subscription  is returned in a  mail item. But some  commands direct
LISTSERV  to send  you  information that  may be  very  large and/or  may
contain binary data. GET, REVIEW,  LIST GLOBAL, database searches and the
like will always send the data under  separate cover, and via NJE if that
is possible.  If you want  it via  mail, you can  add F=MAIL, and  if you
never get the file you'll know it's  because it's too large for your mail
system.

  Eric