"Ahern, Shannon" <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 24 Jul 2002 15:25:38 -0700
Thanks Pete!

So, here is the reply I got from my technical staff fellow, although I notice that *your* samples below do NOT include your login info. How did you do that?  In this reply, I have actually changed his email addy, since his point was not wanting it broadcast, but you will see the gist of his issue below...

All our lists are post-by-subscribers-only. I am wondering if I have set something that makes the archives also limited to subscribers now? I didn't think I had, but is that possible?

I want the archives searchable by anyone, just subscriber-only-post-able.  :-)

Thanks again for your help!

Shannon  :-)

<his reply>
But that kind of link includes my personal email address in it (that I
subscribe to the list with).  For example:

http://discuss.develop.com/archives/wa.exe?REPORT=&n=&m=&q=SetServiceStatus&
s=&f=&a=&b=&I=-3&d=no+match%3Bmatch%3Bmatches&K=1&L=&X=4D155851276B583388&Y=
[log in to unmask]&z=4&1=DOTNET-CLR&1=DOTNET&9=A

The above query string searches both DOTNET-CLR and DOTNET for posts
containing the text "SetServiceStatus".  Notice the [log in to unmask]
parameter.  And who knows what the X parameter indicates?  I'm not really
keen on sending out a bunch of URLs that include my personal email address
and unknown other bits of info. And only a valid subscriber's email embedded
in that query string will work. If I null out that argument (...&Y=&...) the
request to the web server seems to hang (or take longer than I'm willing to
wait).  And if I just change it to (...&[log in to unmask]&...) then
following the link results in a "Welcome to Subscriber's Corner" page being
returned.
</his reply>