Dan Lester <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 11 May 1997 10:00:56 -0600
At 08:40 AM 5/11/97 -0500, you wrote:
>On Sat, 10 May 1997, Dan Lester wrote:
>
>> some spam without whining.....isn't the motto still "Words-L, where the
>> weak are killed and eaten"?
>
>Right as always, Dan. However, I am tired of eating spam. And since
>Listserv seems to have the best spam defenses going built-in, I just
>wondered if there were some way to channel gatewayed mail so those
>messages are also subjected to filtering.

I agree completely, but don't see an answer unless Eric figures out some
way to have addresses from the gateway to be spam detected but not
filtered.  Guess since listmembers, which the gateway is, are given free
posting privileges, that there isn't any easy way of spam filtering them.
Don't think I'd want to waste the cycles and machine load on spam detecting
everything from a listmember.  Maybe if ALL the gateways had something
consistent about them....they were ALWAYS the listname, or some other
distinctive pattern, they could become an exception that could be turned on
or off.

Sounds doable in principle, but not sure if it is that high of a priority
to other listowners that it might become one to Eric for future versions.
Anyone else have comments on it?

I'd support it on general utility, though my dozen lists that are gatewayed
have relatively little traffic from usenet, even spam, that the folks who
serve as editors (I have that farmed out on all of them....I read them all
and handle the listowner techie stuff....but not editing any more....and
have gotten VERY tough on not forwarding msgs to the list for those who
bounce them because of including headers).

cheers

dan

Dan Lester
In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.  Erasmus, 1534