"J. R. Lankford" <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 30 Aug 1999 21:41:19 -0500
>Hi all!
>
>I am considering activating TOPICS on my mailing list.  I've reviewed the
>documentation at lsoft and still have a couple of questions:
>
>1) Are the TOPICS case-sensitive?
>
>   If I set TOPICS= OT, ADMIN in the list config will the list-server
>   recognize ot:, Ot:, admin:, Admin: etc as valid TOPICS in the subject?

Simeon, they're not case sensitive

>2) Once I set Topics=, will all current subscribers be subscribed to
>   all TOPICS or do I have to do a:
>
>    quiet set list-name topics: OT, ADMIN, OTHER
>
>   for everybody?  I thought I saw something in the docs about this but
>   I can't seem to find it again.

Adding the Topics= command to your header just makes these topics
available on your list.  If you also add the default topics command
to your header then all new members will be subscribed to the new
topics as they join.  Here's my default topic header entry:

* Default-topics= TALK, SCE, QRY

To subscribe existing members you'd have to do it manualy.  Just use
the symbol for everybody: *@*

The command ends up looking like this:

quiet set list-name topics +OT, ADMIN, OTHER for *@*

I assume those commas between topics are correct.  Haven't added
anyone to multiple topics for a while.

A way to subscribe everyone to all topics initially, is:

quiet set list-name topics +all for *@*

In our list we don't use the OTHER topic so for us it's

quiet set noveldoc topics +all -other for *@*

Jilla