Fri, 29 Jan 1999 00:50:59 -0600
> You might also consider the application of copyright.

Which reminds me, what about this stuff about registering with
the copyright office, now at LC, for proctection as third party
in copyright infringelment suits?  We got a lawyer out there
who can expalin it?

like, the infringing material is sent via a list.  Is the listowner
liable?  The host site?  Whoever provides or transmits the infringing
material?  If the plaintif had a megabuck attorney I imagine would
go for all those and beyond.

Taking it a level further, the infringing material was sent from a library
providing free access to whomever walks in off the street, by whomever
walks in off the street.  Is the library going to be liable for copyright
infringement as a third party if it has not paid the fee and registered?

Any words on wisdom on this?

Strictly by the way, some ISPs refuse access to geocites.com on the
basis that it contains "hatespeech."  Learned about this from some
subscribers to one list who tried the URL about turning off undesired
MIME and HTML stuff in various systems.  Anyone else encountered this?

Douglas