Stan Ryckman <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 6 Jan 1997 17:07:54 -0500
At 11:13 AM 1/6/97 -0800, Eric Paul-Hus wrote:
>Bon Matin All,
>
>I know it has little to do with LISTSERV or even the Gateway
>but I still wonder that user gets every single post via the
>News echo bounced as "already submitted" message. I think I've
>narrowed the problem (occuring since before I owned the list).
>
>> ------------------------ Rejected message (42 lines) --------------------------

[snip by me]

>> To: [log in to unmask]
>[...]
>> Newsgroups: bit.listserv.blues-l

[more snip by me]

>I've selected 3 possibilities:
>
>1) They have 2 news server and they mirror each other on the way out and
>each
>one sends a copy to the news group moderator (ie the list)

Unlikely -- or there would be lots of complaints.

>2) One News server has not the newsgroup as list-moderated and thus
>create a
>new article intead of forwarding to the moderator.

Almost impossible -- it wouldn't propagate.  Then, the list would only
see one copy.

>3) NS Gold News window does a Re:Both sending  one copy via NNTP and
>another via [log in to unmask] (maybe a user
>configuration
>problem, like some kind of address book)

I don't know what NS Gold News window is.  But if the user is trying to
both post to Usenet and mail to the list, then, yeah, you'll get two
copies, both eventually reaching the list.

>One fact is certain 2 copies get out of the user domain ...
>(and oth have the save Message ID, I checked)
>
>Does any of that make sense to any of you ?
>Or can someone offer me some other possibility ?

I saw one case posted (this list?  another?  don't remember) where the
user had an alias which actually referenced the list twice.  I've also
tried to "reply-to-all" to this list, and if "Reply-To" isn't set, then
the listname appears in both the To: and Cc: headers (which I then
edit, but if I didn't would result in such an error).

To trace, I suggest having the user set IETFHDR, and then look at
(or post here) *all* the headers from a test post received back by that
user, and from the bounce back to the user (assuming you can't figure
it out from that).

Cheers,
Stan