Elliott Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 29 Apr 1996 14:42:59 EDT
I assume this is going to a lot of lists.  Does anybody have
any comments or additional information?

Department of Journalism         Less certain possibilities:
Central Michigan University         [log in to unmask]
Mt. Pleasant, MI 48859 USA          CompuServe: 70701,520
Office tele: +1 517 774 3196        The WELL: [log in to unmask]

    ===================  Forwarded  Message  ===================
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 1996 23:38:50 -0700 (PDT)
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: request to archive FOODWINE - Discussion List for Food and Wine

Pangaea Reference Systems, Inc. is developing a search service
(Reference.COM) that will provide the Internet community fast, easy,
and free access to Usenet and electronic mailing lists.  The service
is made possible in large part by the contributions (software,
hardware, communications infrastructure) of NASA Ames, Sun, Oracle,
Verity, Pacific Bell, Storage Computer and others. The service will
include paid advertising from corporate sponsors, in addition to free
advertising space for non-profits. The service will be both Web and
e-mail accessible. It is expected to be the largest online repository
of Usenet and electronic mailing list archives.

Pangaea's goal is to provide users with fairly complete coverage of
Usenet and electronic mailing lists.  To this end, we would like to
subscribe to the FOODWINE - Discussion List for Food and Wine list.  By allowing
us access to
your list, you will be making your content (current and historical)
easily accessible to the Internet community, as well as your
own subscribers.

Should you have any questions regarding the service, please contact us
at [log in to unmask]

If you are willing to include your list in our search service, please
add the address [log in to unmask]
to the FOODWINE - Discussion List for Food and Wine list. Alternatively, you can
send us a note
letting us know that you want to participate and we will subscribe
to your list.

If we do not hear from you, we will assume that you do want your
list archived and we will NOT subscribe to it.

Thanks for your consideration.

Pangaea Reference Systems               NASA Ames Technology
                                         Commercialization Center
155A Moffett Park Drive, Suite 104      http://www.Reference.COM
Sunnyvale, CA 94089                    +1 408 541 7633

Q:  How much will users have to pay to get to the data I'm supplying
    you for free?
A:  Zero, nada, zilch.  Not now, not ever.  We will make our money by
    including ads on the web page, much like other free services do
    today.  Someday we may add premium services that will include an
    additional charge, but the base services will always be free to
    the end user.

Q:  Just who are you?
A:  We are a small startup located in the NASA Ames Technology
    Commercialization Center in Silicon Valley. Our access to
    database technology from Oracle, hardware from Sun, and high speed
    Internet access from Pacific Bell gives us a unique edge. Our
    technical team includes Eric Allman, the creator/developer of
    sendmail and Professor Hector Garcia-Molina, head of the
    Digital Library Project at Stanford University.

Q:  How will people access your service?
A:  Queries can be submitted and the results retrieved via the web
    (http://www.reference.com) or by e-mail. See our home page for
    details.