Jim Gerland - User Support Services <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 2 Apr 1992 07:41:11 EST
On Wed, 1 Apr 1992 17:29:00 EST Volunteers in Technical Assistance said:
>In recent weeks I've received several new-sub notices from Listserve
>that give addresses from which later messages bounce. Does Listserve
>verify addresses before adding them to the List? Is there any automatic
>control for invalid sub addresses? I would appreciate knowing if others
>have had this experience.

Unfortunately, this is an all too common occurance.  There is a large
number of site who have not taken the proper steps to ensure that the
mail they send out is replayable to.  One of the more common questions
I get asked by my users is "If the mail got to me, why can't it get
back to my friend?".  I have a canned response that explains that just
because mail can travel from point A to point B, there is no gaurantee
that it can travel from point B to point A.  I tell them that we (UB)
have taken the necessary steps to ensure that the hosts listed in our
outgoing mail is 'known' to the network community so 99.99% of the
Internet and 100% of BITNET can reach us.  The sites who have not taken
these steps are usually Interrnet sites who either do not know the correct
implementation steps (I would prefer to believe this one) or do not care
enough to do the necessary work.  Those BITNET sites that we cannot reach
are usually just a site that has made their connect which has not yet
been announced via the monthly NODUPD file so I tell my users to try
again after they see the announcement that the new tables have been
installed arounf the 10th of the month or so.

Hope this helps explain this.

Jim...