Liz Marr <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 29 Jun 2002 17:48:31 -0700
On 28 Jun 2002, at 14:50, Michael Mee wrote:

> Thanks for this info Stan. However doesn't this then require any subcriber
> that wants to read the archives register for (yet another) password before
> they can access them?  If so, this is a problem because a) its a hassle
> that we'd rather not inflict on subscribers, and b) we expect (hope) many
> people to read the archives without actually joining the list.  Or am I
> misunderstanding your suggestion?
>
> Maybe the simple work around is to have an account reserved for this and
> publish the email/password right on the main page entry to the archive. Do
> you see any problems with this?

It isn't done this way.  The server links passwords to email addresses and
once you have an email address with a password, you can go anywhere
that where the list that you are a member of has for archives.  How it
works is this way - 1) you restrict viewing of the archives to members of
your list only (use the PRIVATE setting for the logs), 2) anyone can see
the first page of your archives (http://servername/archives/listname.html), 3)
if a member wants to see the archives, then they log on with their password
that is associated with that email address.  They don't need any other
passwords and there is no reason to password the opening web page
because no one can get to any of the archives without the password.

If you want to see an alternate (but rather labor intensive) way to display
archives, go to http://apple.ease.lsoft.com/archives/sar-dogs.html.  You'll
notice that you cannot see the archives without being a member of the list.

--
 (\o/)   mailto:[log in to unmask]       KA7MYM
  /_\    http://cc-ent.com/Spiritbrook    ICQ 4014832