Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 22 Aug 2005 18:51:03 -0600
On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 18:00:55 -0500, Winship <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Ben Parker wrote:
>>  Yes, this should work, providing the period of the message archives
>> (weekly or monthly) is the same for both lists.

>However, as this seems to be a LISTSERV *administrator* procedure, I would
>like to remind everyone that this is a list for listowners, discussing
>listOWNER issues, NOT a list for host site administrators, discussing host
>site admin issues, for whom, and which, there is a separate list.

Ah, yes.  In my haste to overcome a technical problem that had prevented the
timely posting of Wayne's messages, I overlooked this point.  Sorry.

However, in fact this process can be done entirely by a List Owner with no
help at all from the Site Admin and with no special privileges required.
It's just a little harder.  Thus it remains an appropriate question for this
list.

You must use the GET/PUT method of editing the archives by email.  This is
described in more detail at this URL in the LISTSERV List Owner's FAQ:

  http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/owner-faq.stm#_Toc73848590

Briefly, GET the existing archives of both lists one week/month at a time to
avoid confusion.  Using your favorite text editor, combine the archives for
that period into one file and PUT this file back to LISTSERV for the desired
list.  (You can only PUT one file at a time in one email message.)  When all
archives have been updated, you still need to do a GET/PUT of the List
Header (if using the WWW interface then press 'Update' w/o making any
changes).  This will update the listname.IND* files.  You will then have to
wait until after LISTSERV's warmstart at midnight for the listname.DB* files
to be updated by LISTSERV.