Steven L Clift <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 2 Apr 1996 18:50:41 -0600
Greetings LSTOWN-L,

I recently joined this list, so I am not sure if you have covered this
topic recently.  I am in the process of updating the configurations for
the PUBPOL-L and PUBPOL-D lists at vm1.spcs.umn.edu.  I started these
lists back in 1993 and hope to reduce the my administration time on the
lists.

Anyway, I have figured out how to:

        1. Create a "welcome" message for new subscribers.  (I have a
        draft set of posting guidelines that I need to format for optimum
        ASCII digestion.  If you have a good welcome message format it
        would be great to receive a copy.)

        2. Establish top and bottom banners.  On PUBPOL-L I will have both
        top and bottom banners because postings are usually not replied
        to on the list.  On PUBPOL-D - Public Policy Network - Research
        Discussion I will have only a two line bottom banner.  I am
        worried about stacking banners with discussion threads, but due
        to the high volume of messages I want to remind people how to
        UNSUB.  (Are there any cautions/tips people have about banners?)

I scanned a number of the configurations listed on the LSoft site for the
larger volume lists and hope to best implement the Auto-Delete feature
and utilize any other newer options to improve list administration.

Here is the list configuration (attempts to only get the header failed -
it said that "get pubpol-l header" was not yet implemented) :

*
*  PUBPOL-L Public Policy Graduate Studies Network
*
*  Review= Public    Subscription= Open         Send= Public
*  Notify= Yes       Reply-to= Sender,Ignore    Files= Yes
*  Validate= No             X-Tags= Comment     Ack= Yes
*  Confidential= No
*  Notebook=Yes,R1/513,Monthly,Public
*
*  Owner=  [log in to unmask]  (Steven L. Clift)
*
* Monthly notebooks available.
*
[log in to unmask] Raymond Richards
 1AAAQACx1H

 ... etc.

My attempt to edit and put this file back was rejected based on the
"1AAAQACx1H" which I assume is a password for Raymond Richards.  So other
facts - the listserver will soon be moving from the VM platform to UNIX and
as I understand it upgrading to 1.8c from 1.8b.  With 1000+ subscribers
on PUBPOL-L I'd like implement the auto-delete feature in such a way
that after 2 days or 10 bounces the address will be automatically
deleted.  At least that is my hope.  How would I do this and what else
should I update or consider updating in the configuration area.

I'll thank you in advance and afterwards as well!

Steven Clift
List Owner, PUBPOL-L and PUBPOL-D
http://www.hhh.umn.edu/Archives/PUBPOL/