"Wayne T. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 22 Jul 1999 15:58:52 -0400
Jacinta wrote, in part..
> Is it okay to send pdf file attachments out to a distribution list?

I agree with everyone else, and for one additional important reason:

Postings with multipart-MIME can and probably will cause many of
your DIGEST subscribers to have substantial problems.  Many MUAs
get very confused when they find multipart-MIME headers *inside* a
digest mailing.  The symptoms vary from empty digest files to missing
beginning or missing end, to missing part in the middle. This is very
disruptive to the subscriber, list owner and SMTP maintainers, since
following up on the problem will involve all of them (been there, done
that!).

Since this affects many MUAs, including many of the most popular
programs, this isn't going to be fixed in my lifetime.

I'd like to see LSoft provide a list setting to reject multipart-MIME posts.

cheers, wayne

Wayne T. Smith                             mailto:[log in to unmask]
Systems Group - UNET                 University of Maine System
Co-owner of the College Hockey mailing lists