Dennis Budd <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 11 Jun 1999 21:58:19 -0500
Going thru ancient messages...

On Sun, 16 May 1999, Brian Lingard wrote:

>16 May, 1999 Ottawa Canada
>
>I am quite familiar with the message trapped due to to, from etc headers
>pointing to the list being found in the message body.
>
>What happened is your subscriber quoted a message previously posted to
>your list and included the header lines.
>
>As part of the dup checking Listserv does, it traps such messages as
>possible mail loops  and notifies both the listowner and the poster.

One small correction -- as someone who's been at both ends of this...
Listserv notifies the listowner, but does *not* notify the poster.

It makes sense; since Listserv is intercepting this as a possible
misdirected delivery error, it would **not** want to send a
notification to the (possibly) bad originating address.

I had this happen to me a couple of times before I became a listowner.
I was making one reply to multiple messages and included bits of the
message headers to identify each message.  My post disappeared without
a trace, and all the others I sent went through.  It was very
disorienting, but fortunately after I remembered something about this
happening to someone else, I looked at the headers I had included and
realized what had happened.  My listowner claimed she never even saw
it.  She must not have noticed it in with all the other bounces.

It wasn't until after I became a listowner myself that I was able to
confirm that the listowner in fact does receive the offending post in
this case.

Dennis