Hamilton Dexter <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 4 Nov 2001 22:56:12 -0800
I am looking for a simple direct email program or utility that will allow me
to sort my 10,000 member announce list by zip code so that I can target
local information to their respective zip codes.

When I collect the email address and name of new subscribers entered from
our website, I also ask for, and usually get, their zip code.  Here is how a
record looks on my list:

[log in to unmask]               John Dough   90201

What I would like to do is import my current list.  Create subsets of my
list based on zip code geography. I would then 'put' the temporary subset
list to  scratch lists set up for this purpose  A sort on Zip codes is not
enough (and easy to do using Microsoft word).  I would like something smart
enough to grab all the files by zips by metropolitan area, or by state. I
really do not need a full-blown database manager and report generator.  But
I would need to be able to generate an export file that looks like an l-soft
list file.

Is anyone here with an announce only list doing such zip targeted
publishing?  Care to share how you're using to do this?