Steve Hirby <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 6 Jan 1995 13:37:37 -0600

--------------I should have said "unreliable"-^
>>opposite effect.
>
>That's  all fine  and well,  but  unfortunately LISTSERV  hasn't got  the
>beginning of a possibility to  classify delivery reports as "reliable" vs
>"not reliable".
[...]
>  Eric

     Of course. But if something can't be declared to be reliable, then it is
perforce unreliable. So the design question becomes, "Do I take my chances?"
(on the principle learned from _The_Soul_of_a_New_Machine_, that "Not
everything worth doing is worth doing well"), or do I conclude that the state
of the art won't allow me to implement a certain feature, no matter how
desirable, 'cause I can't promise that it will work as designed and intended?

     To be sure, LISTSERV gives us (listowners) the choice--we don't have to
use auto-delete if we can't stand the flack it may generate and/or don't want
to run the risk of disappointing some of the very people we're trying to help.
But that doesn't change the fundamental question; it just pushes it back on us.

     Peter Weiss pointed out that this topic had been pretty well hashed over a
month or so ago, but I don't recall this particular slant coming up.  If so,
and I missed it, sorry for troubling the list with it again.

Steve Hirby
FUNDLIST listowner