Tom Rawson <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 5 Jun 2000 11:35:49 -0400
This was posted last week and I still have no resolution or way to
proceed, other than Nathan's comment that the message means the file
doesn't exist.  I get that, but we have no clue why the file for the
current month's archives sometimes seems to exist and sometimes doesn't (I
don't know that it's ever really gone, but the web interface thinks it
is).

Can someone offer next steps to look at here, or an indication of whether
there are any known bugs in this area, or some other approach we should
take to finding out about this issue?

Thanks.

Tom

I have a user who reports that the archives for the current month go down
frequently at mid-day and don't come back up until late at night.  "Down"
means any attempt to access them via the web comes up with a standard
error:

>    Error – cannot access archive files
>
>    The archive files could not be accessed, probably because they are
>    being updated. Please try again in about 30 seconds, and report the
>    problem if it persists for more than a few minutes. The file that
>    could not be opened is
>    'RAID2:[WWW-ARCHIVES.guatemala-adopt]guatemala-adopt.ind0005' and the
>    error code was  2.

Despite the message, the problem does not go away in a few minutes -- it
takes hours (presumably until a scheduled late-night restart cycle).

At one point the problem went away for a while when the site manager
reindexed the file in question, but it came back.

One other list owner at the same site (SJU) reports the same problem.

What can we do, or what can the site manager do, to solve this?  Is it any
kind of known bug in LISTSERV, or in the web interface?

Thanks.

-----
Tom Rawson           [log in to unmask]