Stan Ryckman <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 6 Jan 1997 17:07:52 -0500
At 11:32 AM 1/6/97 EST, Peter M. Weiss +1 814 863 1843 wrote:
>>I'm sure Pete Weiss can give us the search job to clip'n save on the
>>message numbers to send to [log in to unmask] in
>>order to get the original posts.
>
>A "big" discussion on this feature via lstSRV-l -- check the
>last 6-months archives via [log in to unmask]
>
>Though the RENEWAL probe does things that DISTRIBUTE MAIL
>does not do (yet?), it is still very useful.  That, and/or
>SET listname FULL822 FOR *@*domain
>
>(don't forget to resume to SHORT)

Not to be specific about this particular suggestion, but I've seen
several suggestions for various "problems" over the past few months
which involve the listowner setting headers to some value.

This should be avoided.  If you *must* do it, don't do it QUIET, so
at least the affected users get told what's happening.

I (and I'm sure many others) count on receiving headers in a specific
way from each list to process with procmail and/or Eudora filters.
I'd be very annoyed if listowners kept setting them to FULL822 and
then "resume to SHORT" -- for example, for this list, I have
SUBJECTHDR set, and I *like* it that way.  For another list, I have
IETFHDR set, and I *want* it that way for reasons involving Reply-To.

Header settings are for the subscribers, not for the listowners.
Mucking with user settings (except by request of the user) should be
considered something to be done only as a last resort.  IMHO.

Cheers,
Stan Ryckman ([log in to unmask])