Aldo-Pier Solari <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 23 Sep 1994 23:01:09 GMT
Mario Rups <[log in to unmask]> said:

*]Mmm ... I don't know.  I will grant you that anyone with access and net
*]savvy can get the information for free.

    That is not correct, Sir. Greendisks compiled information is
    available *only* to their subscribers. A VERONICA search will
    show what information they release into INTERNET/BITNET: Just
    announcements of contents and a "Pay-if-you-want-it" philosophy.

    This is unethical and wrong, Sir because people cooperate in
    good will and they find that the information is not released
    unless you pay.

    There are "armies" of environmental "crusaders" (mostly US based)
    and "go-for-the-buck" small environment related small
    corporations: Their ethics are *very diffuse*, their goals
    to get enough together to pay some (if you pardon me) "lousy"
    salaries and mostly with low quality evening-newspaper
    information doing more harm -spreding disinformation- than
    anything else.

    Also, I do believe that if a project is worthwhile,
    it will be supported by a government or academic
    institution, like for instance FISH-ECOLOGY and FISH-JUNIOR,
    NIA-NET, ECOLOG-L and many others are.

    To the Internet mercenaries I just say: No, thank you!

        Aldo-Pier Solari (Listowner FISH-ECOLOGY, FISH-JUNIOR).