Murph Sewall <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 21 Jul 1995 23:01:03 -0500
On Thu, 20 Jul 1995 21:59:14 -0700, Anita Cohen-Williams wrote:
>My net.kook claims that I am depriving him of his 1st Amendment rights and
>apparently his civil rights by not allowing him to post...

It does NOT matter what you did not allow him to post.  He has NO
fundamental right (1st Amendment or otherwise) to use your forum.  That is,
if you are a list owner you have absolute editorial control over content.
If anyone finds your personal aesthetics unsatisfactory, they are welcome
to found their own competing list for archaeologists or whatever and
attempt to woo your subscribers with their <ahem> more liberal philosiphy.

Can you sue a newspaper if it refuses to publish your letter to the editor?
Tell him you await the pleasure of his attorney.  Note from one who
usually walks away from a friendly poker table with more cash than he
started with: if someone dares you to call their bluff, then they are
almost surely making one.

>The AUP at the University of Colorado specifically states that no one can use
>an account there to harrass other users, yet RJ still has not been stopped.

A note from the ASU lawyer to the chief academic officer at U of Colorado
probably is warranted.  If your net.kook were at UConn, you wouldn't have
to try so hard.

/s Murphy A. Sewall <[log in to unmask]> (203) 486-2489 voice
   Professor of Marketing                          (203) 486-5246 fax