Joan Korenman <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 5 May 1994 20:58:19 -0500
        Jim Jones writes:

>  I don't think upper/lower case matters for the address you SERVE ON/OFF
>  to LISTSERV.

        Several people (including, earlier today, Melvin Klassen) have told
me that case DOES matter for the SERVE command.  Melvin added that it
matters for everything BEFORE the @ sign.  Before I was told that it
mattered, it never occurred to me that it might, since it doesn't seem to
matter for any other commands I routinely issue (e.g., QUERY, SET, DELETE).

>  Also, the reason interactive messages sometimes don't
>  find a mailing list subscription when the same command works when sent
>  via mail (or vice versa) is often simply that there is no Internet host
>  name listed in BITEARN NODES.  Unless someone registers the fact that
>  XXX.someplace.EDU is the same a Bitnet host XXX, LISTSERV will never
>  know that user@XXX sending an interactive message is the same as
>  [log in to unmask]  That appears to be the case for UMBC2.

        I greatly appreciate your trying to help, but I don't think this is
the explanation.  I have absolutely no difficulty sending interactive
messages to LISTSERV for QUERY, SET, and DELETE commands (QUERY WMST-L FOR
USER@NODE, SET WMST-L NOMAIL FOR USER@NODE, DEL WMST-L USER@NODE).
Listserv always recognizes me and always does what I ask.  The only time
this isn't the case is with SERVE commands.  Then it just about NEVER
responds appropriately.  Having received a message that USER@NODE is served
off, I try to serve the person back on, only to be told that USER@NODE has
not had his/her service restricted (or whatever the wording is).  Each
time, I have to ask the listserv maintainer to serve the person back on;
each time, he succeeds in doing so.

        I haven't yet had an opportunity to test sending a SERVE command
that specifies case, but for the moment I'm assuming that that may take
care of my problem.

        Joan Korenman, WMST-L Listowner   KORENMAN@UMBC
        Univ. of MD. Baltimore County     [log in to unmask]
        Baltimore, Maryland 21228-5398