Dennis Budd <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 30 May 2002 12:44:27 -0500
On Thu, 30 May 2002, Birdie MacLennan wrote:

> Because we are getting deluged by spam, we want to restrict incoming mail
> to list subscribers who have current email addresses.  I know we can do
> this with the keyword Send= private.  However, the multiple editors also
> want to continue to review and sometimes to edit incoming mail before it
> goes out to the main list.
>
> Is there a way to do this?

Not that I'm aware of.

Send=Editor means that all messages sent (from non-editors) are sent
to an editor for approval.  There's no distinction made between list
members and non-members.

Send=Private means that all messages sent from list subscribers are
sent to the list directly and all others are rejected.  Messages sent
from subscribers who are set to "REVIEW" will still be sent to an
editor for approval.

You could mass SET all your current subscribers to REVIEW, add
Default-options= Review to your list header in order to ensure that
future subscribers are set to REVIEW, and change the list to Send=
Private.  That will cause all postings to be sent an editor (or, from
my experience, perhaps the list owner instead) for approval.

However, I have learned from bitter experience that if you
occasionally edit posts and forward them to the list using Resent-
headers, it will no longer work as you expect under this
configuration.  I've had some indication that other list keywords
regarding editing are acted on only if Send= Editor is defined (i.e.
for Send= Private they are accepted and ignored), so I would test this
configuration thoroughly if you try it.

> We tried the following keywords, without
> success (the SEND= private,semi-moderated  allowed authorized subscribers
> to bypass the moderators and send directly to the list ("Urgent" was not
> in the subject line).

That's the way Send= private works.  "Semi-moderated" only works with
Send= Editor.

Dennis