Willie Hughes <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 1 May 1998 14:32:20 -0700
> We provide Listserv ownership to our member institutions as
> part of our ISP options.  We administer 20 or so lists.
>
> I'm not able to look over the shoulders of all of our
> listowners but it
> seems that several users of Micorsoft's Outlook (not Outlook
> Express) have difficulties communicating with Listserv.
>
> Specifically, they have difficulty Putting the header using
> Reply.  From
> the messages I see it looks like Outlook is adding characters
> at the end
> of the header and/or breaking lines so that the * is lost and
> Lsoft thinks
> it has either the begining of the subscriber list or a false command.
>
> Although we have Outlook, we have not been able to reproduce
> the problem.
> Outlook will send in Word (.doc) format, and we've unchecked that.
>
> Any ideas what might be happening?

There are a couple of possibilities for the problems you're describing.
First, make sure that Outlook is set to send e-mail in plain-text format
to your listserv address. The easiest way to do that is for the list
owner to add the listserv address to the Contacts folder, and check the
option that says "Send to this recipient using plain text only" or some
such. And definitely turn off that godawful WordMail feature.

As far as random line breaks, make sure Outlook's word-wrap function is
set to a high enough value (try 78 or 80) to allow the lines of the
headers to be sent intact.

The procedures (and the problems) are slightly different with Outlook 97
and Outlook 98, so if you could tell me which version your list owners
are using, I could probably be slightly more helpful.

Hope this helps --

Willie

Willie Hughes
http://www.ben2.ucla.edu/~whughes

Hedrick Hall, 4 North: UCLA's North Shore.
http://www.ben2.ucla.edu/~whughes/hedrick4n