Mark Hunnibell <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 26 Nov 1995 09:48:14 -0500
Eric:

Nice work on those pages.  I read the 'About' page and I am unsure quite
what you mean about it being a cultural experiment thatsome say will make
no difference.  If you meant to make it clear on that page that each list
had a purpose and that abuse of that purpose is not tolerable, I don't
think that message came across.

The other thing I wondered if you had theough about is that the topic
search gives a demographic spammer a chance to find lists that pertain to
his/her client's product or service.  Let' say, for example, a spammer had
a message that he wanted to send out to dog owners and handlers:  "Amazing
new facts about the New and Improved Super Duper Pooper Scooper!".  Now
all s/he has to do is do one quick search for 'dog' and she's got a tidy
list of 11 lists, each with the number of subscribers s/he can reach.
Further, if these lists are set to Send= Public (or even Send= Private),
such a spam might well avoid LISTSERV spam detection because not more than
one or two messages were sent to lists on the same LISTSERV (which I
believe is one of the triggers).  You may have other algorithms, but in
case you do not, this is one of the drawbacks I can see about making the
information so handy.  Yes, it is great for legitimate use!

Also... one typo on the 'about' page:

> month) to make sure that users are not given oudated information.

< month) to make sure that users are not given outdated information.
                                                 ^
Cheers

Mark Hunnibell                  Email: [log in to unmask]
KIDLINK Gopher/WWW Coordinator  http://www.connix.com/~markh/index.html