Stevan Harnad <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 3 Mar 1992 00:48:42 EST
> Date: 2 Mar 92 14:46:00 EDT
> From: "FARR, DR. MARSHALL" <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Referring to Psycoloquy
>
> I would like to cite a quote from something in Psycoloquy.
> Standard APA rules call for a page number.  What I get on my screen
> bears no page numbers.  Is the stuff from Psycoloquy "officially"
> citable? If so, how? Marshall J. Farr

As a refereed, archived journal, PSYCOLOQUY certainly is citable,
with the recommended format as follows:

Author, A.B. (1992) Title of article. PSYCOLOQUY 3.2.4.5

That will be the standard way to cite PSYC articles, but you can
optionally add the date and number of lines if you wish, plus an
indication that the journal is electronic and that the article is
retrievable by anonymous ftp or through listserv (you can even
give the filename). Quotes could then be accompanied by their line
spans (although this is hardly necessary, since they can be retrieved
so readily by pattern-search capabilities such as "grep" and are often
omitted even in paper publication these days, once the copy editor has
verified the quote).

Page numbers are means of (1) indicating article length and (2)
locating articles or quotes in paper journals exactly, once you've
physically retrieved the journal. The suggested format above provides
equivalent information for this new medium.

(What remains to be standardized is file-naming conventions: In
general, they will be redundant with the citation itself. The above
file, for example, should eventually be something like:
PSYCOLOQUY.92.3.2.4.5 -- although that remains to be standardized.
Right now it is: psyc.arch.3.2.4.5.92 for ftp and something else for
listserv. There will certainly be an integration of the two main
retrieval modes -- Bitnet/Listserv and TCP -- as soon as there is
enough pressure for it, and then a unified mnemonic convention for
file naming will be adopted that will be transparent from the citation
itself.)

Stevan Harnad
Co-Editor, PSYCOLOQUY