"Natalie Maynor" <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 11 Feb 1993 05:49:14 CST
>  the culprit 99% if the time.  For those cases where it's not clear
>  what the bouncing address is from the delivery error, I'd suggest
>  getting a copy of the list with the command,  GET list-name ( NOLOCK
>  and searching for e-mail address(es) in the LIST file that match the

I never use the address as given in the bounce message when setting an
offending address to NOMAIL.  I find that it's much more reliable to use
the address as it appears in the list of subscribers.  I keep a relatively
current list online and 'grep' it (Unix's search command) for a likely
part of the address.  That pops up the address as given on the list of
subscribers.  This is especially important when it happens to be somebody
with a bitnet address since sometimes their addresses as given on the list
include .bitnet and sometimes not.

>  accounts on the list.  Also, Monday mornings can be hell too, since we
>  all know that if a large mail gateway is going to bust, it will do so
>  on Friday evening. :)

You're right.  I hate these "trying for 3 days" (or even worse 6 days)
bounces.  That means that the Friday-night problems come piling in on
Monday, the day I have least time for e-mail.  Or I assume that's what
you're talking about.  Surely you don't stay away from your computer all
weekend.  If I did that, I would find several thousand pieces of mail
waiting for me on my busiest day of the week.
   --Natalie ([log in to unmask])