Melvin Klassen <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 28 Jan 91 10:20:08 PST
On Sun, 27 Jan 91 14:31:00 EST <BCJ@PSUVM> said:
>Can anybody help me understand what my Dutch friend is trying to tell me?
>He said that messages longer than 72 x "=" are split;

He means that he has used either the IBM "RECEIVE EXEC",
or the 'LOG/LOGD' commands in the MAIL/MAILBOOK package
to store a piece of E-mail into a 'NOTEBOOK' file.

Then, when he uses the MAILBOOK package to split the NOTEBOOK
into individual notes, the package splits the file, by looking
for a line which consists of a line with the following properties:
 - the line contains an "=" in column one,
 - the line consists solely of 72 repetitions of the "=" character.

If you put a line meeting those conditions into your "signature" file,
the MAILBOOK package may get confused.