"Diego H. Bustamante" <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 30 Mar 2005 09:03:20 -0500
Could I possibly see what a script that submits a JOB msg looks like?

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Russell [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, March 23, 2005 9:17 AM
To: [log in to unmask]

On 3/22/2005 7:21 PM, Francoise Becker wrote:
> Only a site admin can send to this address (so the right forum for
> this question would be LSTSRV-L, not LSTOWN-L), but the address is
>
> If you're running on unix, the alias must be defined for this
> otherwise it doesn't work. (Some unix sites deliberately do not
> define the alias in order to disable the address, which is why I
> mention it).

Some sites did not create the all-request because, prior to LISTSERV
1.8e,
anyone could send a message to this alias. We are one of those sites
which
chose not to create the all-request alias. Instead, we created a closed
announcement list to which all non-quiet list owners are subscribed. The
list is used infrequently. Before each use, we run a script which
extracts
all non-quiet owner addresses from all list headers and submits a job to
refresh the list. This approach not only enables us to control who can
send
messages to an address that reaches all list owners, it also provides us
with an archive of those messages, to which we can refer list owners
when
we get the inevitable "Why didn't you notify me of ... ?" questions.

--
Paul Russell
Senior Systems Administrator