Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 20 Jul 1995 16:56:03 +0200
On   Thu,   20   Jul   1995    08:59:28   -0600   "Kelly   C.   McDonald"
<[log in to unmask]> said:

>I verifyed yesterday that the receiving host at U-Texas (which is an IBM
>VM machine) will take  any host name and assume that  its a valid sender
>(...) Unfortunately, there  are some mail systems still  on the Internet
>that  do not  check carefully  for forged  mail. Until  this problem  is
>resolved, it is likely that incidents like this will continue.

The Internet standards demand that forged mail be accepted and delivered.
Any  other behaviour  would  be  in violation  of  the  standards. It  is
unfortunate that security was not built  in to one of the Internet's most
important applications, but  there's not much we can do  about it and now
we all have  to live with that. Modifying mail  programs to reject forged
mail  is simply  not an  option.  As for  tracing, unless  the hacker  is
careless, computer  logs aren't  all that useful.  There are  hundreds of
terminal servers all  over the Internet that will let  anyone dial in and
place a telnet call, anonymously. You just have to know the number, which
isn't public but is normally known  to students or whoever is supposed to
use the terminal server. If you  can identify the terminal server and the
hacker always  uses the same  one, you  may be able  to get a  warrant to
trace any and all  calls to the server in the  hope of eventually finding
out  where the  hacker is  calling from,  but without  any hard  material
damage (destroyed/lost business data, etc)  this is unlikely, and I don't
want to think of the reaction of the countless innocent users whose calls
were also traced. I'm afraid the Internet is a big windmill with the door
firmly  sealed in  the  open position.  There's little  to  be gained  by
pointing fingers around. BYU was just the site that the hacker chose as a
scapegoat.  The best  way  to  find the  hacker  is  to use  non-computer
methods, such as sending $50 to  that Olga character and figuring out who
is coming to pick the money from the mailbox.

  Eric