Natalie Maynor <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 8 Nov 1993 11:26:57 -0600
>>    Quite likely the lowest I've ever seen or heard of used.  I'm on
>> one list where the limit is 300, and it has been freed a few times, though
>> not often.
> GACK!  That's incredible.  What's the topic and how do most members
> handle the load?

I sometimes had to free WORDS-L when its daily threshold was at 200.  I
don't think I've had to since I changed it to 300 a year or so ago.  Right
now it's averaging something pretty low -- under 100 messages a day.  I
consider anything under 100 per day a low-traffic list.

People handle list loads in different ways.  How much list mail I read
depends to some extent on my schedule at the time.  On days like today
when I can find a few minutes to read e-mail during the middle of the
day, my reading load will be lower during my usual e-mail time at night.
If things get so busy that I don't have as much time for e-mail at night
(and before 7 a.m. -- my other prime reading time), I delete lots of
list mail after the first screen.  It helps that I have a voice-data
modem at home that allows me to read mail at 19,200 baud.  But I somehow
managed it before that with my 2400-baud modem -- and before that at
1200.  I guess what it boils down to is that we tend to find time to do
the things that are really important to us.  I read e-mail during times
when many people are watching tv or sleeping.
   --Natalie ([log in to unmask])