Michael McNeil <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 12 Apr 2000 04:56:28 -0400

I am experiencing some difficulty setting REVIEW (moderation) *off* on
subscriptions after a period of time.

In setting up moderation on the list, we followed these steps in modifying
our list header:

1.  Changed "Send= Private" to "Send= Editor"
2.  Added the "Editor=" and "Moderator=" lines below
3.  Added "Default-Options=REVIEW"
4.  Send the command "SET NASAP-L REVIEW for *@*"
5.  Send the command "SET NASAP-L NOREVIEW for <selected users>"
6.  Verified that <selected users> did not have "REVIEW" checked on their
subscription pages;
7.  Verified (6) with a "QUERY NASAP-L for *@*" to obtain a listing of
subscriber options

Note:  No subscribers have "EDITOR" set as part of their subscription
options.

The relevent list header entries are as follows:

 Send= Editor
 Editor= [log in to unmask]
 Editor= [log in to unmask]
 Editor= [log in to unmask]
 Editor= [log in to unmask]
 Moderator= [log in to unmask]

 Reply-To= List,Ignore
 Validate= Yes,Confirm
 Default-Options= REPRO,NOACK,SUBJECTHDR,REVIEW

 Owner= [log in to unmask]
 Owner= [log in to unmask]
 Owner= [log in to unmask]
 Owner= QUIET:
 Owner= (lstmgr-l)
 Owner= [log in to unmask]

I am encountering two types of behaviour from subscribers that is other than
expected.

1.  Where a subscriber has REVIEW set, their post forwarded to me as expected
with the option of forwarding it to the list (employing the Resent-From
header) as is, or edited.

2.  Where a subscriber does not have REVIEW set, their post forwarded to me
as expected with the option of forwarding it to the list (employing the
Resent-From header) as is, or edited (as with the first scenario, but
requiring transplantation of the Subject Header over the server created
version including approval code) but also including the option of sending an
"OK" approval command to the server.

In addition to unchecking "REVIEW" from a subscriber's settings, do I also
need to check "EDITOR" to allow their post to go directly to the list without
coming to my attention?  Those set as "Editor" in the list header able to
post directly to the list, as expected.

    User may bypass moderation                        [EDITOR]
    All postings sent to list owner for review        [REVIEW]

I find that the options appear redundant.

It would seem to me that a subscriber is set or not set to REVIEW, not
requiring to be set to EDITOR when REVIEW is removed.  Is this due to the
SEND=EDITOR setting in the list header?  If I am correct, then subscribers
need to be set either to:

REVEW,NOEDITOR   or   NOREVIEW,EDITOR

Any thoughts on identification of the problem or a solution would be greatly
appreciated.

Michael McNeil