Harry Dewey <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 12 Oct 2003 04:10:42 -0400
Thank you, Barbara (and also Pete Weiss and Rich Greenberg) for your
kind letter.  Pete and Rich suggested making all listowners QUIET, with
a note in the &LISTNAME-request autoresponse saying that no human would
see the message (and giving another address, in the knowledge that only
subscribers to my list would read this.  The trouble with that solution
is that I've everywhere urged people with problems to write to the
&LISTNAME-request  address.  I'd deserve fifty lashes if I then refused
even to receive such solicited mail (from people WITH PROBLEMS!).

Barbara, filters are very useful, but do remember that mail YOU and I
receive at our &LISTNAME-request
address is not affected by filtering the addresses of the originators.
All &LISTNAME-request  mail  is RELAYED to listowners by LISTSERV!

Version 1.8e allows us to reject posting from non-subscribers
(SEND=Private).  It should be a simple matter to make a slight change in
1.8e to enable us to make the &LISTNAME-request PRIVATE as well.  Then
we would automatically receive all &LISTNAME-requests from subscribers,
with NON-subscribers (including spammers) receiving only the
&LISTNAME-request  autoreply, which I would revise  to ask that
recipients contact an alternate address (a personal one, that we can all
be certain mass spammers wouldn't bother with).  How about it, Eric & Co.?

Harry Dewey, Beltsville, Maryland USA